The caboose that we stayed in was once part of the Great Northern Railway. I had never hear about it before but I learned some interesting stuff while I was there:
- The railway line stretch from the St. Paul to Seattle.
- It’s the only transcontinental railroad that was privately funded. It was built out in sections so that each part became profitable before expanding.
- The Stevens Pass tunnel was constructed as part of the creation of this railroad.
- The book The White Cascade tells the story of a Great Northern Railway train caught in a major avalanche. It’s a great book if you’re interested in history.
- It started in the late 1800s and ran through 1970 before being merged into the Burlington Northern railroad.
If you want to read more info, the Great Northern Railroad Historical Society has a pretty deep website.