Hall of Famer

player_campbell06Congratulations are in store for Andy Campbell who was recently inducted into his college’s hall of fame! He holds the career record for hits and runs, but if you look at the career leaders page, you’ll see his name in the top 10 for all of the offensive stats except sacrifices.

It made me wonder who was in the Purdue Hall of Fame so I checked it out and discovered that Travis Dorsch was inducted this year. He was the kicker on our football team while I was there and we had a German class together. I will always remember him for one thing… My Junior year was the year that Brees led Purdue to the Rose Bowl. There was one game that season that ended with Dorsch walking off the field over to the front of the student section and flipping us all off for giving him so much flak about his critical misses in previous games. Classy. Around that same time, someone made a huge chalk sign in the Engineering mall that said “Dorsch is German for wide right.”

I was initially surprised to not see Ryan Newman in the Purdue Hall of Fame, but I guess it’s because racing wasn’t an intercollegiate sport. He was an up and coming ARCA and Busch series racer while I was there and I remember him being on campus at least once with his race car.

But anyway, back to the main point, kudos to Andy! I hope that the induction ceremony is a lot of fun!

Elijah’s Swimming

Elijah started swim lessons a year ago (or was it two?) and he has been steadily moving up through the levels. Tyla is usually the one to take him to his lessons but I go every few months to see his progress. On this latest trip, I took the camera along and captured some video. This is totally one of those “proud dad” posts, but too bad. I love seeing him be obviously pushed outside of his comfort zone, make it through and then realize that he accomplished something he was hesitant about. It’s also nice to know that if he did fall into water, he’d have a chance at getting himself out.

Fantasy Football – Week 3

Broncos Bengals FootballThat Seahawks game was a lot easier to watch. Scoring a TD in the first minute on a 3 play 80-yard drive was comforting. Pretty much everything about the offense looked good. Christine Michael is getting good blocks up front and gaining huge yards and they finally realized that maybe they should pass to their expensive tight end. Graham ended up over 100 yards with a TD. It’s only the second game with the Seahawks where he has gone over 100 yards and this third TD as a Seahawk. More please. There was a definite damper on the excitement in the second half though with the horse collar tackle that took out Wilson’s knee. Thankfully the coaches were able to keep him out of the game. There was no point in him continuing to play at that point and it was a good opportunity to get Trevone Boykin some real snaps. He didn’t look bad except for the INT at the end of the game.

Our league had some Monday night drama. Logan needed 2.13 points on Monday night to win the game and he got… 2.90. Jim needed 39.05 points on Monday night to win and got 41.1. I’m sure Andy and Luke are a bit frustrated about those games. Tim remains undefeated and victories by Jim and myself mean that there are no winless (“unfeated”?) teams anymore. Bye weeks are starting so watch those rosters carefully.

On to the weekly stats:

This Week Season All-Time
Highest Team Score Tim had 132.25 Logan had 153.13 (Week 1) Tim 200.51 (2015)
Lowest Team Score Andy had 104.44 Jim had 77.82 (Week 2) Andy had 41.29 (2015)
Biggest Blowout Tim beat Austin by 23.41 Andy beat Dad by 33.11 (Week 2) Luke beat Andy by 113.02 (2010)
Closest Win Logan beat Andy by 0.78 Was Tim beat Ben by 1.90 (Week 1) Jim beat Ben by 0.12 (2012)
Highest Scoring Player Trevor Siemian had 36.98 as a free agent Andrew Luck had 43.50 for Jim (Week 1) Drew Brees had 60.54 on Tim’s bench (2015)
Longest Active Winning Streak Tim has a 3 game winning streak Weekly streak is season record Micah (2011) and Ben (2015) had an 8 game winning streak
Longest Active Losing Streak Dad has a 2 game losing streak Ben and Jim and 2 game losing streaks (Week 2) Kyle had a 14 game losing streak (2011)


It has been six years since the last time I grew a mustache for Movember. Tyla just loved it so much that I feel bad that I haven’t done it again for her to enjoy. (I’m not sure the full weight of that sarcasm can be communicated in plain text.) Plus, I think Elijah would find it amusing to see me with more than a little bit of stubble when I don’t shave for a while. So I’m putting the call out now: who’s with me for another Movember? Remember that the overall point of this is to raise awareness and money for men’s health so it’s for a good cause. In addition to growing that mo’, why not throw a donate a couple bucks too?

Here’s what I propose:

  • Leave a comment and let everyone know you’re joining in.
  • You’re welcome to get a running start on your mustache. Feel free to grow a full beard and start whenever you want.
  • Shave off that beard and let that mustache shine in all it’s glory during Thanksgiving week. I’ll probably go to work with it at least one day.
  • Send me a photo of your beautiful mustache and I’ll include it in a post here on my site.

Go forth and grow that mo!


Best Of YouTube

The first video is look behind the scenes at some of the special effects in the most recent Star Wars movie. Some might say that this ruins the magic, but it just enhances my appreciation for the movie.

Zane Lamprey is still making great videos on his channel. They aren’t all about traveling or drinking. He made one recently full of cute little animals.

Frank Howarth’s YouTube woodworking videos are well-known for his use of clever time-lapse photography and incredible turnings on the lathe. This video encompasses both of them and while I haven’t been completely enamored with his CNC use, this bowl does turn out beautifully.